Yesterday I woke up to the whispers of my husband and O discussing the plan for the day.  

A few minutes later, O came in and informed me that I needed to sleep "a lot" longer so that her and daddy can run to the store and get flowers and pick up breakfast at Dunkin' Donuts (the surprise came out in the ruse).  As she left the room, she realized she had let it slip … "But you're not supposed to know that, so go back to sleep and don't tell daddy I told you."  

Just as I was drifting off, she came in again to inform me that next to my pillow she was laying out the Mother’s Day cards that she made at school. Again, she stated that I was not to look at them until she returned home.  I assured her that I wouldn't.  However, it's always tempting.  At this point I'm wide awake and falling back to sleep was not going to happen.  Plus, I knew I was going to have to eat Dunkin Donuts and pretend to like it.  Why couldn't we live around the corner from a Krispy Kream

Forty-five minutes later I heard them downstairs and texted my husband to see if I was to come downstairs or if they were coming up.  Couple seconds later I heard my favorite sound...tiny footsteps coming upstairs and down the hall, "Mommy, you can wake up now.  Happy Mother's Day.  Today is your day.  You can come downstairs now".  

After breakfast we went on a family bike ride.  After lunch O and her daddy surprised me with box seat tickets to an incredible ballet called "Noche Latina" at the Kennedy Center put on by the Washington Ballet.  Halfway through the production O leaned over to me and whispered, "Mommy, I love you."  Smile.

The day ended with an evening of good wine and good girlfriends enjoying a lovely dinner at a favorite Italian restaurant.  It was truly spectacular.

I woke up this morning and thanked my family again for making it all so meaningful.   Then I realized Father's Day is 34 days away.  How will I ever top this?  Kindergarten SUCKS!