Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Backpack

This morning we awoke 15 minutes behind schedule.  However, with a few shortcuts in our routine (like wearing the socks from yesterday) we made it to the bus just in time.  

Since I lost my voice, and O is doing anything and everything (except wearing a mask) to not catch what I have, her kiss, hug and kiss on the hand has turned into a fist bump.  After we bumped fists, I told her I loved her and headed to the other side of the bus with my dear friend G.  We said goodbye all the while her daughter appeared to be trying to tell me something through the window.  The bus pulled away and G and I headed home with the other parents.  

G had a gorgeous new coat on and I whispered a comment on its coolness and in the middle of my comment she stopped me, and in her adorable southern accent said, "Oh Honey, you have O's backpack!". I felt my  face go pale as I was at a total loss for words.  Before I could say anything she swung it onto her shoulder and said, "It's going to be OK.  I'm taking it to school.". "NO!" I shrieked at an octave that I don't think is even part of my register.  It was the first thing I hadn't whispered in two days.  It was the first thing I had spoken in two days.  It sounded like a pig being made into bacon.

G began to run away with O's backpack over her shoulder all the while yelling, "I'm doing it and you can't yell at me not to".  And off she went, without so much as a fist bump.

I walked home covered in a blanket and full of emotion.  G is and continues to be the most loving soul.  She loves unconditionally and is always there to help a girl out.  As my neighbor and dear friend, I'm so blessed!  Her bright light is full of goodness.  

When O got off the bus she was laughing about it. She said G was at school before O even got off the bus! Thank you, G!

Kindergarten SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment