Monday, January 30, 2012

Johnny Rocket's High Fives

Yesterday, after mass, O and her cousins, E and V wanted to go to Johnny Rockets.  I thought it was for the milkshakes, however, as soon as we walked through the door they each made it clear that it was all about this “crane drain” machine on the back of the restaurant wall. 

I'm sure you are all too familiar with that machine.  It's the kind with the crane that picks up the stuffed animals and makes a child so "happy", or angry if you fail to secure a prize.  I add the “drain” to the name because it's almost impossible to do it without draining the cash from ones wallet.  When I was little, I distinctly remember begging my parents for more money to try and try again and again to win a prize.   

Whenever my girlfriend Camilla's husband walks into a restaurant with his three girls and sees a "crane drain" machine, he knows from past experience, that he is going to spend a lot of money in trying to get three stuffed animals out of that machine.  He offers to pay up front $100 in exchange for the owner/manager to unlock the machine and give him the stuffed animals rather than him having to waste his time and end up with three very unhappy or angry children if none, one or just two girls win a prize even after daddy has spent $30-$50 dollars trying on their behalf.  

My sister-in-law and I left it up to our husbands to come through without spending more than $20.  O got hers first, a kitty with a big head, big eyes and a scratched up collar, which made me think maybe these stuffed animals were donated.  I mean my attic holds enough stuffed animals to fill two of those machines and I'm not a hoarder.  That doesn't include all the hundreds of stuffed animals that I have already donated in the last five years without O's approval.  

O's uncle came through for his daughter E picking up a puppy with a red collar on it which E affectionately named "Bisquit" and then the pressure was on for him to come through for little V who at 18 months old could really have cared less, but since her cousins were happy with new gifts she obviously expected one too.  

As we watch, we are all in suspense...can he do it?  What will she get?  He picks up an elephant...he pulls the crane towards the slot, but OHHHHHHHH.  The elephant's trunk gets caught and it drops.  He tries again.  This time he picks up another dog, he pulls the crane to the slot, and YES!  The crowd cheers, the kids jump up and down.  We are all watching this like it's a football game and we are celebrating a touchdown.  High fives all around the restaurant.  Beers on the house!  

It was fun!  My brother-in-law pulled through for both kids and all total they spent $17.00.  When O got home I asked her if she wanted to sleep with her kitty.  She said, "Nah!  I'm going to sleep with my knuffle bunny."  Within two hours of getting the new kitty which her dad worked very hard for, and allowed his food to get cold while doing so, she was over it.  And after seeing Toy Story Three, it does make one wonder how many stuffed animals really do end up in landfills across the country.  Kindergarten SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment