Friday, January 13, 2012

Nana and Cancer


Last Friday we found out that O'Malley's Nana, my mom, has stage one lobular cancer in her right breast. Radiation is hopefully the extent of what is needed to fight it.  

When I told O she asked, "What is cancer anyway?  Grandpa had it and now Nana has it?"  I responded, "It's a disease.  Disease lives in all of our bodies and sometimes it comes out to teach us how strong we are and how grateful we can be for every birthday cake, every friend we make and every breath we take."  O said, "Is Nana scared?"  I replied, "Of course, sometimes life can be scary, but she also knows, like we do, that everything is going to be ok.  Nana is a strong woman.  She is upbeat.  She's excited as she now has a good excuse to say no to the things that take her away from spending more time with you and your cousins."

O'Malley replied, "I love her." 

No doubt about it, CANCER SUCKS.  Kindergarten sucks too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment