Friday, June 8, 2012

Preying Mantis Nymphs

After dropping O off at school, I went to spray the preying mantis pods with water when something caught my eye.  Looking closer, I realized that it was over 300 hatchlings.  I sat there and watched as more birthed their way out of the pod (what better way to spend a morning, right?).  I sprayed the water and then I began to panic.  What are they going to eat?  
 
 I called every pet store within a twenty mile radius.  Apparently, no stores in our area sells fruit flies.  I went online to find out how much it would cost to have them overnighted.  TOO MUCH! Then I called every petstore within a 30 minute radius.  Score!  Petco carries them.  I drove there hoping no cop would pull me over for speeding because who's going to believe this story ... or the fact that I would speed to feed preying mantises. 
 
 I bought two jars at $10 a piece.  The clerk told me I'd need a jar per week.   I did the math...if I'm to keep them for three months, the total amount of money it will cost to feed these guys is $120.00.  Did I mention this was a "gift" from my mom?  Oh what I could cross off my Nordstrom wish list for that price!  Probably nothing.  Kindergarten SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment