Friday, June 22, 2012

Timeout


Yesterday, two of O's friends came over after school for a play date.  They were playing American Girl dolls when I overheard O putting her doll McKenna in timeout.  With a stern voice she said, "McKenna, that is not OK.  I'm surprised with your behavior.  You know that you are not allowed to eat in the attic.  You are going to timeout for five minutes."

I could not help but be reminded of the times O has spent her minutes crying in timeout.  At first we thought it was a remorseful cry, but then we realized that she was not crying because she was in trouble, no.  Rather, she missed her dog Porkchop (died when O was four).  You see, Porkchop would always go to time out with her and keep her company.  Our dog now isn't allowed to go upstairs and since her timeout location is on the stairs, our dog has been trained not to go near them. As a result, O tears up and becomes sad about Porkchop not being there for her.  

At the end of the play date there was a frantic search for McKenna.  O was asking me what I did with her.  Her friend, G reminded her of the sequence of their make believe play and before long McKenna, who had been in timeout for over an hour, was retrieved.  

O picked her up and hugged her and said, "Oh McKenna, I'm so sorry.  I would never leave you.  I love you so much I would never leave you.  You make my snuggles so special.  Who would I snuggle with at night?  It's OK sweetheart.  I would never leave you.  Never.  What's that, my love?  You miss your doggy?"  There's no point in timeout.  I'm thinking we need a new discipline strategy.  Kindergarten SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment