Monday, November 28, 2011

Kindergarten "Turkey Trot" Program

For the past two weeks O has been singing parts of different songs about turkeys, a farmer named Brown and gulfstream waters.  Each day she adds a little more to each song.  Last week it all came together at the school Thanksgiving Kindergarten program.

The night before, O told me she wasn't going to participate in the program.  To which I replied, "Performing on stage is part of being in Kindergarten.  It's just like riding the bus"  (much like drinking a nice glass of Pinot Noir each night is part of being the mother of a kindergartener).  

The morning of her performance we didn't discuss anything about it until we were on our way out the door.  I told her that I was looking forward to watching her perform that morning.  She replied, "Well that's nice, but I won't be performing.  I don't want to.  My stomach hurts."  “We all have butterflies in our stomachs sometimes,” I told her. 

I dropped her off at the bus and then headed home.  Before heading to the school to see the program I noticed that I too had butterflies in my stomach, but they were for her.  After contemplating a glass of wine for courage, I abandoned the idea and drove to school.  I went straight to the multi-purpose room (I know, we all use to call it “gym”).  The kindergarteners walked in with construction paper turkey hats all the while shaking beans in toilet paper tubes covered with American Indian symbols and decorated with feathers.  The beans made the sound of turkeys ruffling their feathers.  I looked for O's class.  Finally, we made eye contact and smiled.  She was so excited and proud of herself.  She beamed throughout, sang every song and made all of the hand motions.  

My favorite song was the one sang to the tune of Yankee Doodle.
"Farmer Brown went out to find a turkey for his dinner
And when he passed I held my breath and tried to look much thinner
Farmer Brown, keep away
Farmer Brown, don't pick me
Farmer Brown, why don't you have a hot dog for Thanksgiving."

It was very cute.  Afterwards there was a party in the classroom.  Privately, her teacher told me O had said to her that morning she wasn't going to perform.  Mrs. M. asked her if she would like to pick where she wanted to stand.  She did and never said another word after that.  

I'm so grateful Mrs. M gets my child.  O needed a little control over the experience and Mrs. M ensured that she had that.

Why, in fact, Mrs. M's quick thinking and last minute rearranging saved a kindergarten turkey from missing out on a Thanksgiving performance.  Way to go, Mrs. M.

Of course, the Farmer Brown song is stuck in my head.  I go to bed singing it and wake up singing it.  I can't stop singing it.  O says that I should sing it all the way through then it won't be stuck.  I tried that.  I even tried singing it standing on my head.  No luck.  Kindergarten SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment