Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Special Spider Teacher

At O's school book fair, we bought a book called Diary of a Spider.  It's a darling book that tells the story of a spider adding many important scientific facts for kids to learn.  I too learned something--spiders shed their skin.  Who knew?  All that I remember is jumping out of my own skin the first time I found a big black spider in my classroom when I was teaching.

I was in the area of the classroom we referred to as dramatic play helping a child find a spoon when a spider scampered across the sink. I screamed over 20 some kindergarteners who then also screamed; much like an airplane scene in a movie where everyone else starts screaming before they realize they have no idea what they are screaming about.   
My co-teacher, JJ rescued me.  First by scooping the spider up into a bug box and then gathering the kids to come to the circle rug for an impromptu meeting.  You would have thought I was five years old.  We all took a deep breath as she took my hand and led us all to the circle where she informed us that spiders are beautiful insects that not only have eight legs, but who can also artistically spin the most amazing webs. We were then told how they eat mosquitoes (a duty I previously thought held by my in-laws).  She continued in her whispering voice keeping the kids attentive as she explained that some people like me were afraid of spiders.  And went on to explain, usually if one is afraid, it's because they don't have enough knowledge about that which scares them.  The ever single JJ then asked all of the kids to really think about this next question:  "How can we, as a class, teach Tasha about spiders?"  (I then wanted to turn the table and ask them about how to keep a long term relationship going, but understood the need to not alter the lesson at hand). 
That day we learned sign language for spiders, we sang about spiders and we even traveled to see our wonderful librarian, Cecily, to check out books about spiders for the classroom.  It was a beautiful "JJ teaching moment" for all of us.  After school that day, we had what JJ liked to call a "come to Jesus meeting" about my reaction/relationship with spiders.

After that, my relationship with all bugs, including spiders, became one of a more scientific approach.  O on the other hand loved spiders at two years, was afraid at between years three and four, and now has complied to my investigative path.  We both enjoy spiders the most when we can observe their movements and admire their creative webs.

This summer when I was cleaning out the dog kennel outside in the yard, I came across what looked like a spider.  Later realized it was the shell of a spider, after trying to exercise good karma and trying to let the spider find another place to live on its own. (instead of killing it like I used to do before JJ's "come to Jesus meeting").   It was then that I remembered the story about the Diary of a Spider.  In the story a professor calls on the spider to answer a question, but actually calls on its skin which he thought was the actual spider.  I then ran and grabbed O's bug box and swept the spider skin inside it.

O took it to school and today, Mrs. M asked O to help her teach about the spider.  She did so and she was so proud that she beamed when she told me she was the "special spider teacher" today.  That's how Mrs. M referred to her.  Moreover, Mrs. M sent home a sweet note thanking O for her "great teachings" today.  We sure love our Mrs. M.

"Mommy can we get a tarantula?  I think it would be really cool to see what kind of skin it sheds," said O later in the day.  JJ and I are now having a "come to Jesus meeting" with the J crowds favorite wine.   Kindergarten SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment