Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Dr. Seuss Costume Changes

Last Friday was the Dr. Seuss birthday parade at O's school.  She spent all week trying to decide which character she wanted to be.  On Monday she said she wanted to be Sally from The Cat and The Hat.  I was so excited.  What a great idea!  I gathered together a cute little Sally outfit with a big red bow for the top of her head.  Check that box!  NOT!
 
Like every five year old I know, her mind changed, and on Tuesday she said she wanted to be Thing Two.  Before gathering another costume, I chose to wait and see just in case she changed her mind again.  She did.
 
On Wednesday she said she'd like to be Cindy Lou from The Grinch.  I didn't gather anything, however, I did go online to see how to style Cindy Lou's hairdo just in case.  Did you know there are two websites showing you step by step directions?  Oh, and just so you know, one of the websites uses a tin can in the middle of the hairdo to keep it up.  Looked dangerous so I was really glad she changed her mind again.
 
On Thursday she said she wasn't going to dress up.  Oh good.  That makes it easy.  However, as expected, right before bedtime and at the very last minute she said she really wanted to be Sally again, but that she didn't like the costume I had designed earlier in the week.
 
This time I let her choose what she thought might be the best attire.  After all, it was her dressing up not me.  The more control she has over decisions such as these, the more likely she will want to wear it.  She chose an adorable silk gingham dress.  We glue dotted buttons to the ribbon we pinned on to look like an apron dress.  She wore her red and white striped leggings, socks and twinkle toes.
 
When she woke up in the morning, she put on her outfit, put the big red bow in her hair, looked in the mirror and said, "I changed my mind.  I don't want to be in a parade today."
 
Kindergarten SUCKS!
 

1 comment: