Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sneaking Out

Today O and her friend Shelly asked if I would take them to the park.  Because it was raining, I told them that today wasn't a great day for the park.

While Shelly played Barbies, O continued to beg for a park visit.  I continued to say, "Not today."  However the more I said no, the more she became determined for me to say yes.  The more I didn't say yes, the more she wined to Shelly that they couldn't go.  O was relentless.  She came to me one last time requesting I take them to the park.  I finally said, "No love.  As much as I'd love to take you, it's raining outside.  Moreover, you asking me is taking up your special time with your friend.  I would suggest that you go play Barbies with Shelly and enjoy this play date before it's over."

She walked away.  In a sad tone, I heard her say to Shelly, "My mom says we can't go to the park."  Shelly replied, "I'm so sorry.  What do you want to do?"  To which O said, "I know, let's go anyway without her."

WHAT?  I thought sneaking out was what teenagers did.

After a little coaxing, Shelly agreed as long as O would show her the way.  Then Shelly asked how far it was to the park and O took her to her bathroom window where O explained that it was "only three houses away".

I was in my bedroom putting away clothes while the girls tip toed by my room.  They both saw me, stopped and then said with a giggle, "Oh, hi!" all the while continuing to tip toe right down the stairs and out the door laughing with every step they took.

I of course, stopped them before they reached the front steps, however, I was shocked to learn that O had apparently told Shelly that her mom, meaning me, would, no doubt, follow them to the park.  O was right.

At the young age of five, NOT FIFTEEN, my child tried to sneak out with her girlfriend.  KINDERGARTEN SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment