Monday, October 3, 2011

Dear Tummy, It's Going to be OK

Often during our morning routine it has become custom for O to say, "My tummy hurts."  I validate her feelings and instruct her to tell her tummy it's going to be OK, send a breath to it and tell her tummy she is listening to it.  She often rolls her eyes and ignores me, however, this morning as she and I were walking to the bus I heard her mumbling.  We were holding hands and when I looked over at her, I saw she had her head bent down and was looking at her tummy.  With all the neighborhood sounds, I couldn't quite hear what she was saying...and then I clearly heard, "I hear you, tummy.  (deep breath in)  It's going to be OK.  I hear you, tummy.  (deep breath in)  It's going to be OK.  I hear you, tummy.  (deep breath in)  It's going to be OK.  I hear you, tummy.  (deep breath in)  It's going to be OK." It's exactly what I say, when I pour my first glass of wine, except instead of taking a breath, I take a sip (in Kansas we call it a "pull").  "I hear you, Pinot Noir.  (pull)  It's going to be OK."  And then I add, "Three more glasses and we won't feel a thing."  Usually I'm not talking to my tummy, but rather my girlfriend, Elaine and it's not Pinot Noir, but rather shots of Petrone Tequila!   

When she got home from school, I asked her if her tummy-ache went away.  She said it did.  FABULOUS!  Then she said, "But mommy, at lunch today, a boy in my class made fun of my lunch box.  I didn't like it.  So I told him, I wasn't put on this earth to impress you."  You know, I couldn't have said it better myself.  Why in fact, when I was at JCREW today wearing my sweaty gym clothes and smelling like a high school girls locker room, I said the same thing to the woman who rolled her eyes at me for trying on the "booker" boots without socks.  Damn Proud, O!

Lastly, she looked up at me and said, "Mommy, I like to sit and watch at recess."  When I asked her why, she replied, "because people fall a lot on the playground and I don't like to fall".  MMMM....how will I ever solve that one?  Kindergarten SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment