Friday, October 28, 2011

Putting the WINE in KINDERGARTEN

It's so exciting for O to be making new friends.  She talks about each of the girls and boys in her class as though she has known them forever.  She's so proud.  She's all about putting the KIND in KINDERGARTEN.  

Me on the other hand, I feel like I'm in high school again.  I put up a wonderful front.  I always smile and pretend to be outgoing and not at all shy.  Meanwhile, I constantly wonder which clique has already formed and who fits the bill.  Except now it's the parents of my child's classmates I want to impress. 
Why wouldn't I be liked?  I'm cool.  From now on, when I introduce myself to a mother of O's classmates, I will say, "Hi.  I'm Tasha McGinn.  My daughter is O.  They like milk, I like wine.  Do you like wine?"
I mean seriously, why not cut through the bull#$%*.  Let's figure out from the start if we can be friends.  "What's that?  Did you say you do or you don't like wine?"  
O's newest friend is an adorable, delightful little girl named Mona.  Since the first day of school O has talked about her.  O refers to Mona as her sister and she always adds, "Seriously mommy, we are that tight."  

The best part about Mona is that I really like her mom.  Why?  Because in the first few minutes of our conversation we both confided how glad we were that the connection between the two of them was reciprocal on both ends and within two more minutes of the conversation, we had established our love for wine and Missoni from Target.  Rock on.  Coupons and corks flew.  
Oh no!  I just realized with 21 kids in her class, I have 19 more mom's to meet and one liver. Kindergarten SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment