Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pedicures and Wine

My daughter had early release for the first time today.  Early release happens every Wednesday except for last week.  I told O she would be home an hour earlier.  I set the alarm on my phone, however when my alarm went off I didn't know what it was for so I ignored it, silenced the phone and placed it in my purse.  Where was I, you ask?  Oh, I was at the nail salon with my FAVORITE nail technician.  She also has a little girl starting kindergarten, and since it appears to be my favorite topic of conversation these days, we had lots to talk about.

I'm supposed to pick her up from the bus stop at 2:00 pm on early release days.   As I'm paying for my pedicure, I notice the time--1:30.  Oh good, I thought, I have time to run by the wine store and stock up.  I'm at the cash register paying for my case of wine and my phone rings.  My caller ID pops up with my dear friend and neighbor's name on it.  I got excited hoping she might want to get the girls together again tonight.  We often have playdates/ dinners with our girls.  At the same time I go to answer it, I realize there's a line formed behind me and the one sales clerk at the one register is waiting for me to set my case of wine on the counter so he can ring it up.  I press ignore on my phone knowing I can call her from the car.  I pay and juggle my pocketbook and a very heavy box of wine to the car, all the while my phone keeps ringing.  I can't even pull it out of my purse.  I put the box in the trunk and before I get in the car, I hear the sound of my text inbox.  I look at my phone and there are the words:
Hey!  Call me!  O is at our house.  Wednesday is early release!!  

My heart drops to my knees!  NOOOO!  Not after all the difficulties we have had with the bus in the morning.  It's official.  I REALLY HAVE RUINED MY DAUGHTER'S LIFE!  Then the monkey mind starts...will she ever forgive me?  Is she crying?  I texted my girlfriend back:
Oh no?!!!  On my way.  5 min.

I threw the car into reverse, looked back to make sure no one was behind me, and peeled out of my parking space.  I could hear my mom's voice, "Tasha, how could you have done this?  I know I taught you better than that!  You weren't there to meet her?  Where were you?  You were getting your nails done and buying wine?"  And then it hit me-- I was getting my nails done and buying wine.  Yes I was.  I was being a mom.  My occupation is FAMILY CEO.  I fill it out on all my paperwork.  So, yes I was doing what any parent/ family CEO does in order to keep it all together.  I was taking care of me so that taking care of the family is easier.  And the best part is, I'm not a kid anymore which means I am no longer concerned with my mom's disappointment.  What can we learn from this?  Surely there is a lesson in this.  There's always a lesson.

I headed to pick up O.  When I arrived my neighbor's wonderful nanny pointed to the basement and smiled.  O was with her friends playing and having a super time.  I apologized to O and to the nanny; neither of which seemed phased by it.  As we were leaving, I noticed on the counter a plate of my favorite Mexican rolls with a cucumber, sour cream and dill dipping sauce to go with them.  Yum.  When she told me they were for me to eat, I was SO happy.  I thanked her and told her that I should be the one making food for her.  She laughed!  O and I headed out.  On the way home I asked O if she was upset that I wasn't there to pick her up at the bus.  She said, "No, I knew you had made a mistake and everyone makes mistakes.  I saw my friend's nanny and went right up to her.   I wasn't scared.  I knew you would be back.  However, I don't want you to do that EVER again.  OK?"  I promised I wouldn't.

Today, I wasn't at the bus stop to pick up my only child.  Kindergarten SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment